The essential principles of Yacapaca authoring:
- There is a very simple hierarchy: Courses->Quizzes->Questions
- The entire system is designed to facilitate use, reuse and modification.
- Everything you create is public. We provide the tools absolutely for free; you provide the content for free.
- When other teachers use assessments you have created, you earn extra quiz credits.
How to start
Once you are authorised as an author in Yacapaca, you gain access to two new pages:
- My Courses
- My Quizzes
A Course is a collection of quizzes, to which you can add teachers' notes and downloadable files such as worksheets. A Course can be as simple as a couple of quizzes that you typically want to assign together, and as complex as a full scheme of work. Quizzes in a course can be assigned together in one assignment. As well as being quick and convenient, this means they will occupy only one column in the Gradbook, rather than one for each quiz.
To create a Course use the "Compile a new course" button from the bottom of your courses list. You must provide a sensible title and description (a course without these risks deletion by moderators), and can then add quizzes. You do not create new quizzes in this module, but you can compile any quiz from our bank of 17,000+ into your own course. Remember to upload any other resources that will be needed to run the course successfully.
Unsurprisingly, a quiz is a collection of questions. The principles you need to know:
- When compiling a quiz, you have access to all 150,000 questions in the question bank. You may not need to write any new questions yourself.
- The order of questions in a quiz is randomised with each presentation. Therefore each question must stand alone.
- The order of options within a question is randomised within a question is randomised with each presentation. "None of the above" looks pretty silly at the top of the page!
Start a new quiz using the "Build a new quiz" button at the top of your My Quizzes page. Give it a sensible name, then start adding questions from the question bank. There is a 'new question' button in case you really can't find a question to meet your needs, but the bias is always towards re-using what is already there. When you have added all the questions you want, compile the quiz and you're done.
- Question Creatr: A short tour of our new question-creation tool. Includes images, sounds and tagging, but not Glyphs. They were added after this video was made.
- The Quiz Statistics page: To the a serious quiz author, this is the single most useful page in Yacapaca. Yet, hardly anyone knows about it.
- Tagging Quizzes: You can get very sophisticated analytics on quizzes that have appropriately-tagged questions. You can now add those tags at any time after creating the quiz, rather than having to have planned them at the time of authoring the individual questions.
- Edit a quiz direct from the Resources page: As an author, you get complete question-by-question statistics to help you spot and correct problems in each question of a quiz.
In-depth articles on Yacapaca authoring